Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I īm quite disappointed.........    

I īm quite disappointed.........

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi, Donapeter. I think most people misunderstood the thing about active morerators/members. It was not to give the idea that only a dozen or so actually vote - but we must admit that very few actually take part on reporting (some much more frequent than other - I may say I īm included) and commenting - even if it īs a controversial matter - if you think about the number of members with more than 1.000 pts - but no one is obliged to be a moderator.

I did not understand your story very well, I think. what do you mean by cut... Cut what, if you don īt mind me asking?

Thanks donapeter, and just to comment on your comment, hehehe, I do not hope this will be an eternal topic, at least not from my part.

8 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Cut means ....cutting the white parts from a clip art, frame, imagine.....as to be fit to use it on a colored background. For example if you copy-paste a clip-art image from the net, it has a white background.  If you export it in Photoshop (i use this program) you can cut the white background and get only the imagine itself. 
I often export my borders in Photoshop as they tend to be too large (i use more than 3 images for that) and save them as one image (it īs smaller in size) and bring it back to the document. 

8 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Good points made all round. Interesting discussion to read.

One thing though and this is directed at EDIT sorry wrong name:
YOU MAY NOT AT ANY TIME POST PERSONAL MESSAGES THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM OTHER MEMBERS HERE ON THE FORUM.
This has been made quite clear in different threads. They are personal, addressed to you and therefore not for anyone else to read.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@dona, I understood now... but like I asked all the others, do you ask/mention/pay for at all times the clipart, frame, images you use? haven īt you ever used someone else īs work without asking formal permission to the creator?

@cheezels, I īm sorry, I did not know about what you advised Samantha, I also posted a part of the pm I received but kept the name anonymous, of course.
Would you mind sharing your opinion with us too, chezeels?

I thank all you guys...

8 Jan 2010     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

I have only used the site for a short while, am absolutely thrilled with it and amazed at how "clean" it is kept. Without knowing any facts I have always been certain that several people are putting in a lot of hard work to keep it in this state.
However, a site is a place where all sorts of people can fit - we have a very recent example of clear theft of other people īs work. These things happen no matter what, especially since banning is not a frequent practice - if I īm not mistaken.
I don īt even think that plagiarism in our case is just about collecting points - they are so very easy to collect. I have so far only uploaded something like ten worksheets, and I have collected enough points to be able to cater for the needs of my whole school - on a reasonable scale, of course, but still, that īs plenty.

I think that at the end of the day it īs human nature we īre dealing with here: insecurity, need to make your work seem better than you would afford left to your own resources, envy, perhaps even some vanity (I want my work to look as good as the work of the best members) and greed (how-many-points-have-I-got). We īll never do away with any of this. It īs us people, it īs how we are made, and it takes all sorts, as we all know.

What I mean is: congratulations to everyone involved in the running of this site, keep up the great work, please brunadutra don īt let disappointment get to you, use your judgment to delete or not delete ws, based on your experience.
If the site is to continue flourishing, I suppose we īll just have to take it for granted that it goes in the direction of those with a good will, generosity and spirit of sharing. The others will in the long term be proven unsuitable for this site one way or another.

8 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I use clip arts from the net. But I create my borders and some shapes from the free ones in the Microsoft Word 2007,too. I didn īt take other īs members images, but it happened to use the same clip-arts from he internet. If you Google for ..."books" for example, we all have the same clip arts displayed...so....it can happen to see the same images in my ws and in other members � wss too. 
I also have some clip arts that i bought ....but I am not very satisfied with them. 

I didn īt say that  taking one clip art from another member īs ws  is a crime (though it was proved it is ). but when someone takes a certain element, that obviously was īt taking from the Internet, should ,at least, ask the owner or...if not asking......behaving when receiving a PM. 

IMHO,
D

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Pollyanna... I think it īs interesting that you have made all these considerations regarding the site even though you īve been around not for long like you said and you īre not a moderator yet. But keep contributing even though you don īt need more points, but in order to add good esl resources so other teachers can benefit from your work to, as we are all benefiting from one another.

I thought it was even more interesting another part of your post: "I suppose we īll just have to take it for granted that it goes in the direction of those with a good will, generosity and spirit of sharing."

In fact, what I see is that it goes in the direction of those who don īt want to share, and I only refer to graphics, that has been my point from the beginning.

Can I ask you the same question?! Do you ask for and mention all the work you use but haven īt created yourself? Or you like me borrow stuff for non-profitable use? (except if we consider our points "MONEY",  like it seems that is the case for me now).

People have been saying... it īs not fair that someone get points with my work. So what if they get points in elsprintables... it won īt hurt nor harm me. I īm glad I could be of help. As long as they don īt get money in the real world (that should come to me, I īm always in need of money --- diapers cost A LOOOOT), they can get all the points they want!

I running out of ways to explain my point, even so, no one has explained to me how come we can get use of work without mentioning EVERY TIME the source but we want people to contact us EVERY TIME.

Do I sound rude? I really don īt want to. Really don īt.

8 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hej hej,
I edited my comment as she was quoting you... But it it true you can never use PM īs here on the forum, as it is just not the right thing to do.

I agree by the rules of the site... but I do think that for newbies the rules about not using a layout as a template are not crystal clear.
I can see where newbies COULD assume that as the content is not the same then using the template would be ok.
I think this has to be written very clearly somewhere so that there is no confusion.

That your worksheet MUST be created on a blank template and that no other members template can be used without permission.
It is a very grey area when you get into templates that are very simple in design with only a text box or two and 1-2 colours. Or a common frame (as in one example not too long ago)

I think we need to use common sense and my personal opinion is, is that if there is a worksheet that has a similar layout and/or has the name in the properties AND the member is new.. then a PM to that member giving them the chance to update it would be fair.

MOST of these worksheets that do this are from NEW members. So I am thinking that MOST of the problems could be sorted out with a friendly PM saying , Hey great worksheet BUT you are not allowed to use someone else īs template unless the original poster has said it is ok.
I bet you that in many cases they really didn īt realise this.
Give them a chance to update the printable, if they dont update, then ok... the debates will still happen but hopefully they will be less. Remember they can īt defend their work or give reasons in the moderating page as they do not have the points...
We should be supporting new members and helping them, rather than shooting them down.
Just my opinion though Big smile

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Samantha was not quoting me, I did not receive Michaela īs pm. Just to clear that out too! =D
But now I know that common rule too.

8 Jan 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,

I haven īt read all the posts, but i īd like to give my opinion: I think it īs only fair to ask a member is permission to copy his layout. Once, i found a great game, but far too hard for my pupils, so I sent a PM to the author to say that I had used her layout and her ideas but changed the content, she told me it was fine.
The other day (2 days ago I think) I uploaded a ws, and I included the link to the WS I had used as a source of inspiration (I also thanked the author). I didn īt send a PM, but i īm pretty sure he didn īt feel too upset (if he noticed my ws) because I changed so many things that it would have been hard to tell where I had taken the ideas from. (I īm actually wondering, Brunadutra, if this ws was not the one you said was reported as stolen... do we get a message when one of our ws is reported as stolen? can we defend ourselves or do we only know it was reported when it was deleted?)
My layouts are always pretty simple, because photocopies cost a lot and are very limited in my school, so I don īt mind other people using my layouts, but I would mind if I found out that someone took my ideas, my pictures/layout and didn īt bother saying that they got their ideas from my ws...

Elodie

8 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >