Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I īm quite disappointed.........    

I īm quite disappointed.........

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@chezeels - just read and re-read your post, and all I have to say is: Clap

"We should be supporting new members and helping them, rather than shooting them down.
Just my opinion though
"
- too

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi, Elodie. When someone reports a ws it appears on the reporting page for moderators to discuss it (a couple hundred more and you īll be a moderator too) and/or vote for or against removal. Very frequently there are controversial reportings, for many reasons that would be hard to cite now, but the members with the wss reported at no point has the right to defend or explain themselves, only after they receive the note that the ws has been removed for this and that reasons and moderators voted for removal.

I surely wasn īt talking about one of your wss Elodia, it belonged to another member, and I would never say that asking people to use anything that you got from them, even if it īs just an idea is not the nicest way, of course. I īm just saying that we don īt always do that, but we certainly seem to think that others must always do that to us!

That īs what I find odd!

If I need other people īs help to make my wss more appealing to the eye, how can I deny helping others?!

I hope I can make at least some think a little more about this. I īm not trying to inspire generosity, I īm trying to inspire COHERENCE.

Be true to your beliefs - one once said.

8 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I think all worksheets with copyrighted clipart like Garfield and Disney characters should be removed. After all, we consistently delete wss using MES-English clipart because the owner of that site īenforces � this. Is it just because we haven īt had a complaint from the Walt Disney Company that it is okay to use their images? If half of all wss have to go, so be it. There are lots of free images available online, so why not use those?

As you might know I advocate īopen source� (or rather īCreative commons share alike� to be exact) whereby it is okay to use someoneīs layout, especially if itīs not an intricate design. I also think itīs very hypocritical to use copyrighted stuff found online (not to mention pirated software and the likes), but refuse to share some of your own work.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Maybe if Walt Disney himself dropped by people would then apologize for using his work without asking first? I īm sure he would say he was glad to have been helped people all over the world to learn his mother language using his work for non-profitable use!!!!

Tongue

I hate when I try to be funny!!!
hehehehe

8 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

You know, lately, I feel the same way as Bruna. I am getting to the point that moderating is a nerve wracking thing that I highly dislike and one of the main reasons is this one - layouts. Now, with MS Word there aren īt that many "layouts" one can create on their own that will not be similar to another person īs - and to be quite truthful, I have gotten to the point when I make stuff thinking "Jeez, four boxes in a box is similar to ... " I īd better change it... Is THAT crazy or what?? I am WORRIED that my worksheets might get reported because of 4 boxes in a box!!! So, I didn īt upload the last one.

We are all quite hypocritical too because, as Philip has pointed out, we used clipart from the net. But how about images from a book or an article from a newspaper? All this is somebody elses work and we are hiding behind the "Free Use" mandate. So why are we being as hypocritical and arrogant as to say that others can īt use part of our work. i.e. Our layouts?? Are we special? Are we above International Copyrights and only we can use our own work? Because if that is so - EACH and EVERY article taken from elsewhere, every clipart, every image that is not hand drawn by the worksheet creator should be removed!! It does not matter that you give the source - you are in violation of Copyrights.

Now, I am like Phillip. I believe anything we put up on the Internet should be free to anyone, regardless of whether it īs copyrighted or not. Copyrights are only there to protect "profitable" ideas and nothing more. But that is my opinion and I respect others. But I do think a lot of members are being hypocritical by defending layouts that are done in MS Word and with Clipart not hand drawn by them.

8 Jan 2010     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Dear brunadutra,

No, you did not sound rude at all - at least not to me. That was not at all the point I was trying to make.

I am terribly sorry if I hurt your feelings the way I phrased things, because my point was in fact exactly the opposite. I believe that your judgment, as well as each experienced moderators � judgment, should be respected. You are the ones who have been around for a while doing the "dirty work" so you are in a better position to instinctively decide whose ws should be deleted or not. Actually, I feel that even if some injustice should be done in the process, (mistakes are always possible), all is fine and well, if they were made in good faith. In the longer term, they will be rectified, since the people making the decisions, are acting with the best interests of the site in mind.
In my view, for whatever it īs worth, the overall purpose of this site is served extremely well, and I am hoping this will continue to be so.

In my previous post, I just wanted to emphasize that you should not let disappointment take over, because the more popular the site becomes, the more conflict issues are likely to arise and it would be unfair for you to feel bad on a personal level. That īs all  was trying to say. Of course I īm against theft, and think it should be penalised. Where I stand on this issue, should be made obvious through my own worksheets which, modest as they may be, make me proud at least to the extent that they have been made solely with free online materials and my personal taste, ability and teaching experience. And that īs basically what I would expect everyone else to do as well. Still, the fact is that not everyone shares this view.

Hope this makes my position clearer. Keep your chin up, and keep up the good work! Just think how many teachers are thankful that some people īs voluntary work makes this site possible in the first place. None of us should lose this perspective.
Thank you.

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I am sooooooooooo sorry Bruna, Phillip and Zora...

BUT you are behaving in a way I CANNOT understand, reporting your own stuff and other`s just because of Walt Disney`s clipart....

I wonder what is Victor going to say about this... you are reporting good ESL resources and I DO NOT AGREE!!!...

5:00 a.m in Mexico and I am going back to bed... see ya!

8 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Julieta, I only reported my own work, Not others, so did Bruna.We are trying to show something that I hope others will understand about using layouts.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Julieta, WELCOME TO THE CLUB =D
We are all behaving in a way I cannot understand.
If I cannot understand... I īll ask others to help me understand.

No one is more interested in Victor īs opinion than me, I have already pmed him about my doubts and concerns but unfortunately, he īs a very busy man and I totally understand him not being able to solve AAAAALL our problems.

And you say ījust because of Disney clipart �. Tell Julieta, why is our work more important than Walt Disney? Why should be respect each other īs efforts but not his!? We should have asked for permission to use his work according to what many have told me. If not, explain me better.

Nighty-night.

Hope to talk to you sometime soon!
Best wishes for your dreams.

8 Jan 2010     

lazzy
Vietnam

I have followed this topic since the early morning, but now I have time to write a reply.

In my opinion, the clipart in Ms Words are free for all the users who are using Windows. But how people use it is a different stuffs. Just like an user here said it depends on the tastes about colors, shapes and art senses of each person ( just like finger prints). So some ws may have some parts alike but it cant be more than 40 % ( heheh, that īs what I think). I myself did spent a lot of time in designing my own layout ( you know how difficult it is at first coz our mind is affected by the works of others)

I also understand the feeling of those users who are called lazzy or cheaters because I myself was in the case. I was in love with Evelina īs layout, I just thought easily " Wow, her wss are so incredible, I think I must try to make my wss are as nice as hers". Then I just did it without any aware that I was stealing others � works. After being warned by Everlina herself , I felt so sorry and deleted 2 ws my self, and I had another ws deleted by the moderators. I was so ashamed that time.

After that I felt that I really need to have some things for my own. So I spend time on it. And I did it! I made  layouts myself, then things goes easily ( I must confess that I didn㦙 dare to send a PM to ask for permission coz i was afraid that you guys wouldn㦙 agree to- How stupid i was)

So All I wanna say here is: we shouldn㦙 be too strict to the users who " use" the layouts of others members for the first time - maybe they didn㦙 aware of that they are doing. We - the moderators can warn them and delete the worksheet. If that user does it again, we can inform Victor and ask him to ban that one forever. After all, I think we are teachers- we have to learn from the mistakes and we teach our students to- That𠏋 the matter.

So just tell the new users that they cant use others� cliparts without permission. If they want to , ask the author first=> the problem sovled.

8 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >