Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I ´m quite disappointed.........    

I ´m quite disappointed.........

JulietaVL
Mexico

Mmmm... even though my layouts are not magnificient, they are mine, I designed them, I do not want people using my worksheets, delete the content, add their content and upload the worksheet as theirs.

As some of you said, layout is VERY important here...

Sorrry but I do not know why it is so difficult to understand!

8 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Moravc is right. The first reason we have to be here is to get worksheets that help our students learn and practice English as a second language. And we have to respect their taste, or they�ll look at our ws and ask: �another of your slips of paper?� with a bored face. (That happened to a colleague of mine and she was quite disappointed.)

When I first logged in here, my students were bored with my way of presenting material but after a few weeks they looked disappointed every time I went to class without �one of my slips�. They love the games, the colors, and the variety of purposes, exercises and approaches. They learn faster now, and they do enjoy learning.

I also download the plain ws with valuable content, but to tell you the truth, I add colors, clipart and frames before taking them to class.

And as Julieta said, it doesn�t matter if your layout is beautiful or simple. It�s yours, and it has to be respected.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Zailda, I do not vote on every ws that is reported because I can �t vote everyday, or contribute to the site as much as I would like to, due to lack of time - except in my sleepless nights!! ehehhe LOL But I up till now have never refrained from voting or reporting what I thought was wrong according to the site �s rules - the ones that are clear for me.

I know I may look like an attorney (my future second occupation Tongue) in here, pushing this subject, but if I do not agree with the way things are being dealt and I can not find an explanation as to why that is, I don �t feel that I �m helping at all, on the contrary, I feel like I �m getting on the way of the eslprintables rules. And like I said, that being the case, I have no place as a moderator, all my judgements would be biased by my opinion which are against the rules, and by now, I still don �t know how to interpret some of the rules, and I think I could explained why that is.

I don �t want everyone to agree with me, I �m asking people to help me understand how things work or explain how something like THAT (first post) could happen.

And just to point something out too. CHILDREN care for layouts, adults care for CONTENT, my students don �t care a bit if the wss I give them looks cute, they only care if it �s content interesting enough and will help them to learn English. I do not teach children, and I understand the graphic appeal they need, but that �s not all.

WHAT IS MINE AND WHAT IS YOURS?!?! Like veljaca82 said, she uses a style that is used by many others, Silvy1903 for example, they look very similar, just like the case that was reported, like your wss Zailda look like Ranclaude �s, because of the fading colored boxes, in my opinion; some wss look like Katiana �s (because everyone wants to be John Malkovich - I love Katiana �s work), some of my worksheets look like many others with a notebook template. I could go on.

I understand people claiming property of some layouts (they may be considered a trademark - like some have said). But claiming property over a layout of a heading and box/circle/table is a little too much for my thick head and a little too much ego for my taste. Remembering, the person that had the layout �copied � did not comment about it - it was removed by other moderators.

As to people losing the �identity � like it was mentioned in the reporting page, I will repeat, if someday someone recognizes my work without knowing it �s mine, I hope it be for the dynamics of my resources, not because of the way it looks.

8 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I agree with you that many worksheets have similar layouts. When I first saw the notebook template, I thought it was a picture and looked everywhere on the net for it. But when I downloaded a ws with the layout I realized it�s made with word shapes, and it�s quite easy to design them.

My �old template� consists of 4 or 5 boxes with pictures at one side (or in the middle, wherever they fit). People who say they like my ws don�t mention my layout (because I don�t have one), they say the wss have a clear explanation on a grammar topic (I try to make it as simple as possible), some examples and lots of exercises to practice, and sense of humor.

I have teens and adults as students, I don�t teach children. And they love colored wss. They say the clipart help them recognize and memorize the vocabulary content. A picture says more than thousands of words. And I try to make the content fit in a single page (to protect nature and save ink). Sometimes it takes hours to adjust the content, the layout, and to make them fit in a single page. Would it be fair if someone � instead of spending the same effort as I did � just erased my content and inserted his? I don�t think so.

Of course we have to be fair but we also have to use common sense. I agree with you that the content is the most important, but I consider an additional pleasure to prepare the layout. I do have fun doing it. Sometimes I feel proud of myself after preparing a ws, but it doesn�t get many points. Who knows what makes a person download one ws and not the other? I have some clues but not the answer, and I�m not worried about.

Concerning to ranclaude and silvy, I consider their layouts definitely more beautiful than my worksheets, so it�s an honor to have mine compared to theirs. And I won�t even dare imitating Tatiana�s or other members� layouts here, they are artists and I�m only a teacher.

If you look at the first top downloads you�ll see that the layouts are similar, but they are not the same. When a layout is so similar that the squares, the circles, the exercises, etc, are in the same place, is it a copy or a coincidence? I don�t believe in coincidences�

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I like your worksheets, because they are useful for me. I almost always recognize your wss when I see them among the contributions.

I not only believe in "coincidences" but also I see them happening in here all the time, and some don �t get reported, some do.

Is it fair to benefit from someone else �s skills/hard-work to draw using (non-profit) clipart for (non-profit) purposes without asking/mentioning/paying for?

Some people can draw pretty well (one of those is http://www.phillipmartin.info) and they share their stuff in order to make teaching more attractive/fun/interesting/memorizable.
I use his work, without ever talking to him because he put it online for teaching use. In here, I cannot claim that I draw his work (pfff - hehehehe), but I �m free to upload it because of the nature of eslprintables.com. I feel I must share my poor poor graphic skills to anyone interested.

In the terms of the website it says: If you need images to make your worksheet, please use your own drawings or take them from public domain cliparts.

Nearly nobody draws nor take images from PD (they are usually very bad, it �s hard to find good ones). Even people that claim they �ve paid for usage haven �t - I �ve seen a member saying so and one of her wss has a picture of Sennynha (Brazilian character for AYRTON SENNA) which belongs to a NGO and would never be available for selling.

So... will all wss be removed?

If I need other people �s help to make my wss more appealing to the eye, how can I deny helping others?!

Too much for me.

But in this post... I �m not talking about the first question I brought up.
This is my own personal opinion - not what I �m saying it should be.

8 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I understand your concern, and I do agree with you, but if we remove all wss using non-authorized clipart, we�ll lose most of the ones we have here. I myself have used Garfield found with Google search and I�ve seen many wss with Disney characters, the Simpsons, etc. Will we erase all of them? Definitely no, they are very useful and our students love the characters. I don�t like the Simpsons, but is there a family tree more recognizable than theirs?

Concerning to Phillip Martin, he has ads in his site, so he�s making profit with our visits there. And he probably gets more with spreading his clipart all over the world, so he�s being paid. Another member here with the same name announced that everyone can use his wss as template. It�s his right, but no one is obliged to do the same. We spend hours preparing a ws to share here and each one has the right to decide the line dividing  what he wants to share or not.

I see that you disappointment is caused for things beyond layouts. There are many things that I don�t understand here and others that I understand but don�t agree with. As you said, it�s the way things go. But when I put the pros and cons together I see that the pile of pros is enormously bigger, so I just accept the others.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

My biggest concern is about helping eslprintables.com and its members (at least some, someone may say), if I believe I can. As it �s pretty noticible, you are basically the only one dear Zailda who is willing to discuss this important subject, IMHO.

This is what I received as a pm:

"(...) By the way, I wonder how many moderators there are in total (100+ for sure) and how many actually �rule � the reported wss page (a dozen?).

(...). After all, of the 280,000+ �members �, how many contribute actively? Maybe a few hundred? I think quite a few newbies get put of very quickly if wss are removed for shady reasons, and rightly so.
"

I �ll keep the member �s name anonymous, of course, but this made me think even more as to how many members we might be losing because either they can �t keep up to the artistic level of some members and don �t get noticed or even because of reports that have really low reasonings.

Therefore, this is the last time I started a discussion about this, after this thread - where I spoke my mind - I �ll give in to whatever is explained to me and won �t participate as a moderator if I feel that I can �t. I �ll never leave eslprintables.com, that �s for sure!

But to finish, I �ll keep quoting myself:

If I need other people �s help to make my wss more appealing to the eye, how can I deny helping others?!

I hope I can make at least some think a little more about this. I �m not trying to inspire generosity, I �m trying to inspire COHERENCE.

Be true to your beliefs - one once said.

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Is it fair to benefit from someone else �s skills/hard-work to draw using (non-profit) clipart for (non-profit) purposes without asking/mentioning/paying for?

My question is:

Is it fair to benefit from someone else`s  hard work (in this case the "layout") if you realize that "layout" is what catches member`s attention? 

(Not always but most of the times)

Wheter we like it or not, in this site worksheets with great layouts get lots of points! and if a member says: "wow, Katiana`s layout gets tons of points, I will copy it"... is it fair??

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Katiana �s ESL RESOURCES are great and get tons of points. If you try to recreate her style with lame resources you may get the points that you want or you may not (not everyone is so easily fooled), but you �ll never achieve what she has achieved.

Do you Julieta use resources you find on the net (in here or not) from others (without asking permission)?

Just as a personal motivation to keep me going:

I hope I can make at least some think a little more about this. I �m not trying to inspire generosity, I �m trying to inspire COHERENCE.

Be true to your beliefs - one once said.

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Do you Julieta use resources you find on the net (in here or not) from others (without asking permission)?

Since I found this site, this is the only place I get worksheets, resources, ideas from... I give and get

I quote Zailda: Another member here with the same name announced that everyone can use his wss as template. It�s his right, but no one is obliged to do the same. We spend hours preparing a ws to share here and each one has the right to decide the line dividing  what he wants to share or not.

So, I am sorry, this is real world, we are real human beings and not all of us are willing to share our layouts

8 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >