Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cancelled account    

Cancelled account

zailda
Brazil

Dear Sam, in fact I don �t regret the fact s/he didn �t get it at all. At any community there are the ones who try to do their best and are not afraid of facing necessary and natural changes; and there are others who resist bravely trying to stop them from happening.

Despite of the first or the second group, they happen anyway.

16 Feb 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I can �t believe how rude people are!! Why would they tell others to shut up! What a barbarian!
This discussion was supposed to be a civilized one if it weren�t  for all the people who came here to shout at us, and attack people in such ways. 

I �m also fed up of people who read half things, and post an opinion on something that obviously they don�t get.
I see  these people ALL the time grieving the old ESLprintables  and trying to give classes of morality to other members but bullying them.. Telling them what they should and shouldn �t do when they hardly ever participate in the reporting section, in the forum, in these discussions that after all are for good.

I wish more people would share the games, or activities which are successful in their classes... But I don �t see that, instead I see people being badly treated because they try to be fair, and keep the site an original one and not full of copied things, and others constantly posting huge and thousands of pictures in the cafe the 24hrs.. Is that to be professional? Is this site about that?... Of course, some fun is good but those silly things are too much for me.
(not only me is saying this)
I believe this discussion has started because some people began provoking and making feel ridiculous the ones who reported the (famous) worksheets and voted for them to be removed while others just voted against the rules! This is very sad because they make it look like THEY are the ones who care SO much about the site! And the people who spend time in the reporting section are the BAD people who care less about the site.
I think it�s the other way round actually!

So then, the people who spend time trying to get rid of copies (remember this site is for original works)... get bullied, called names, and the rest by the ones who don �t really care about this, maybe because they have copied stuff themselves! Who knows. Approve

16 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

You �re right at that point, Sam. Bullying is one of the things this site needs to get rid of, and people who want to tell the others what they have to do belong - ironically - to the group that always tells us how friendlier this side used to be.

Maybe this thread could be seen as an example of what we should do if we want the site to be friendlier: to get straight to our point instead of letting it go backwards because of insults.

Whenever we disagree with a reason for a topic to exist we shouldn �t participate in it. If the matter in question doesn �t interest us it may interest some; if no one is interested no one will reply; if no one replies it may sign that it wasn �t useful to anyone or no one disagrees with it.

Whether we agree or not we should respect the civilized way of directing to the others and avoid giving orders or asking things for our own benefit only. The site and its features (forum, worksheets, bookmarks page, etc) are not only for a member in particular and if something is useless for me, it doesn �t mean it �s useless for everyone.

16 Feb 2010     

Carla Horne
United States

edlerverein,

Please try to understand that many of us have a deep sense of duty. When Victor asked the moderators to help keep the site clean of copies and other handout that don �t belong, I actually felt that it was my duty. However, the more I tried the more confusing it became. People would become angry with each other, and it tore friendships apart.

I now realize that friends can �t monitor friends, and that a 1000 points is not enough experience to be put in that position. Many, many members are hurting because of this situation. I actually have been ignored by Victor more than once. I guess I don �t have enough points for my opinion to count, so why should I be allowed to be a moderator? I �m not going to be one anymore! However, I �ll answer questions on the forum when I can, and I �ll contribute something once in a while.

Please don �t hurt us anymore than we have already been.

Carla

16 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@Carla, I �m sad to see your useful work going off, but at the same time I understand your position and give you all my support.

Have a nice day!

16 Feb 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I do have this sense of duty, too, Carla.

I became a moderator within three weeks of my membership here and have since devoted some time to the moderating business practically every day.
Not because I have nothing else to do but because I was getting so much from the site that I wanted to give something back.
i did this conscienciously, never reporting worksheets as stolen because my knowledge of the WWW or of the uploaded material is simply too poor, but reporting other worksheets that were obviously against the rules,
I did this by checking worksheets others had reported, by leaving comments here and there, etc.
Don �t insinuate that everybody who does not get their teeth into the others � skin and growl like a puppy in this thread,  but who stands back and says HEY; TAKE IT EASY, EVERYBODY does not participate in this forum, does not feel responsibility or has no sense of duty.
I was trying to put things in perspective, that �s all.
P.S. In case everybody starts attacking me again, the "teeth into the skin and growling thing" is a metaphor ...

16 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I understand your point but you should agree that as members of the site this is the prefearable place for this discussion to take place. Of course we could have discussed it through a messenger, but it �ll lose one of its important characteristics: transparency. It �s here for anybody to see and give opinion if he has something to add.

But we are not discussing our right to discuss about anything that involves the site here, and I feel this discussion unnecessary because the answer is obvious: we do have this right. Since we �re using the owner of the site �s thread to discuss the matter and he gave some replies and until this moment didn �t tell anyone he is tired of it, we feel we have his permission to continue it.

Sorry if the entire thread sounds repetitive for you, that �s because I was at several points stating the real reason for it, and trying to stop people from turning it into a personal matter about someone.

As I said, an action implies a reaction, and the ones who replied in a polite manner got responses in the same way. As humans, of course, we have a tendency to respond in a more or less aggressive manner depending on the tone used before.

There are other threads on the forum, and I see no point in asking us to stop since we are using no one �s time or attention besides ours. Everyone is free to read and / or participate in threads he is interested in and ignore the others.

16 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I understand edlerverein in a way. I �m also fed up with this feeling that �s over me, i want to stop it, i don �t want people arguing. But unfortunately this is too sensitive of an issue to just let it go. For all of us. and as much as i want to refrain from posting more comments here, i can �t, because it hurts, it �s the tough time my family is going through, i can �t just turn my back and put up with whatever happens. For me it �s crucial to express myself, i feel it �s a part of my contribution to this wonderful community. And i respect those who don �t feel like i feel because they are also people and have the right to have their own opinion. So while it �s still hurting all of us and nothing is clear, i don �t think this thread will stop growing. This just shows that we care. I don �t wanna quit. I have many new ideas which were inspired by you, people. Without you i will never make them true. I appreciate what you are giving me and i want to give back. It makes me sad to know David is really considering leaving us. Probably, as he said, there will be other people taking his job. But i will miss him around, though i never talked to him personally, i really don �t know him, but i saw all the huge job he was doing every day and i admired him and was very thankful for the time he so selflessly gives all of us. ...

16 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

here �s Victor on the board

16 Feb 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Yulia,

I have no power to continue here right now. But don �t worry - I received a PM from David. He �s not going to leave, he just wants to take a break.
I was thinking about all this and really feel sorry for Victor. I know the emotions were strong and overwhelming, and I hope (if he will read this), he will take in my deep apologizes. I am very emotional person and I have always fought for the rules equal for everyone.
I know, he restored the account because he felt he had made a mistake, but I am sure we voted on more Mar �s wss than were originally in question. I don �t want to accuse anyone, but is there a chance Victor (and all the members here) were betrayed? I mentioned this issue earlier already and it still lays on my mind.

Well, I am not going into it again
. Have a nice day, Michaela

16 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    Next >