Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cancelled account    

Cancelled account

zailda
Brazil

It seems people watch too many mistery movies. There isn �t a conspiracy. Copied worksheets are to be reported, if there �s a link provided, they are to be removed.

With the new system, the account is cancelled after the 3rd. ws removed. What �s the big deal? The bad guys are the ones who upload copied material and not the ones who spend their free hours here trying to keep the site free from copied material. And if the members stopped attacking the moderators for doing their work we �d have more time to do a better job.

Victor didn �t say we were wrong, he indeed said "the copied worksheets have to be removed". But it �s completely wrong if a moderator votes a ws to stay even with the link proving it �s a copy just because the "author" is his friend.

14 Feb 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Conspiracy? Someone was just doing what we should do - tried to keep the site clean. I have never hear of Mar before her wss were reported and I believe there are loads of newer members who hasn �t known her either. I don �t know about others but I don �t usually check the name or how honourable the member is, when I find his/her ws is a copy. She made a mistake and it �s up to Victor how he will sort it out. But I believe we all have learned something. Only I am not sure if it �s positive or negative.

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Everything that is done, like the system Victor implemented, with the best intentions, to help solve the problem of people always uploading copied things.
But as long as people feel that the reporting is something very bad and of bad people then.... the site should now stop having a reporting section and accept anything and everyone! Then everyone would be happy!

Samantha: am I one of those members??...

Just for you to know, I defend ESL resources even though the quality is not good but NEVER copied stuff...

Who are thouse guys? I also want to know them

14 Feb 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

But Zailda,

that �s exactly what was happening. Even there were links provided, moderators were against removal of the wss. In this case I believe they were voting against the rules because of the member was their friend - no matter the wss were proven copies. Sorry, but I don �t feel it was right.

14 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

The accounts with 3 copied worksheets are deleted AUTOMATICALLY. I know, it �s really fast... But this is the way it goes... and Victor doesn �t have time to check every account...
How about "freezing" the account?
The member with 3 copied worksheets would not be able to download until Victor checks and decides whether to delete her/his account?
Is it possible to "freeze" the account for a few days??

About deleting worksheets which are not meeting the rules: I know, it is hard for the newbies, but they should read the rules...
The rules can be read every time they upload a new ws, so what else can Victor do?
I think not many members download reported worksheets, so the lost points can be easily forgotten... In the end, the new member can always edit the worksheet and send it again and gain even more points.... the rules are rules...

14 Feb 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear moravc,

and what about the old members who don �t read (or respect) the rules?

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As I said, it �s not up to us to decide whose account will be cancelled. We only vote or report worksheets against the rules. How can it be a conspiracy? Could we have "created" the links to report a worksheet?

Since the link is provided we check and if it �s a copy, we vote for its removal. Quite simple. Victor - the owner of the site - can decide if he want the account to be restored after all, but our duty is only to check and vote. If the account is cancelled, that �s because the person uploaded 3 copied ws, and not "because we wanted to".

And for me it �s not important whose ws is being voted, I vote the worksheet and not the person.

14 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Zailda - out of common decency the member in question didn �t need to have ten or more of her worksheets reported. When something like that happens it should be taken to Victor.

You cannot say that what you were doing was fair. It looked like a witch hunting fiesta in there yesterday with people trying to find as many worksheets of Mar�s that were copied so that they could be reported. That right there is childish and vindictive.

I am sorry if you do not see ther same way as I do but this has happened to quite a few members and I hate these "feeding frenzies"!!

14 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Zora, on the previous day another member reported 4 of her contributions and even providing the link they weren �t removed. I had no work at all to look for the links because other members who were afraid of reporting her worksheets they know were copied sent me all of them by PM. I agreed with them that copies are to be reported and yes, I sent them to cause a reaction because I see no point in reporting copied work and look for the links, if moderators can choose the ones they �ll vote to stay or to go according to the relationship they have with the "owner".

14 Feb 2010     

nika114
Greece

Dear Victor and all the others,
It is inevitable to use the internet and its resources .It is also inevitable to use books out of which we take material.
Today I sent a glossary about environment and I did ask you to tell me if you think I should withdraw it because I haven �t written anything myself.I took it from various sites,rewrote it by putting words together,spent a long time to use my favorite fonts and found picture from google etc.
I had it in a black and white regular a4 paper and because of your quides on how to make a more attractive worksheet I spent time to make it presentable to all of you.Is all this work going to be considered cheating when somebody recognizes these words from an x environment site?
If I spent such time to remodel worksheets I have made in my almost 30 year carreer whose origin I can not remember,will I be considered a cheat in case someone says it is stolen?
We all work the same way.We do not cheat ,I think,when we use a book and adapt some of its exercises or readings for our students because no book is exactly what our own students need in especially an EFL class.
If the uoloaded worksheet is an EXACT copy,ok.But if it is a completely new one through the modifications we have made on it or the ones to make it presentable to the this site instead of just a simple ws we give to the students through our limited facilities in schools(eg Greece),,then we should not punish the uploader by deleting him/her.
Personally,I have never been so afraid of the word  "cheat" as when I read our forums.
I hope I have not insulted anybody by all these.
nika114

14 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    Next >