Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cancelled account    

Cancelled account

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Victor
Thanks for answering me so fast; it seems to me you felt all my anger in my post. Thanks again.

Let me ask a simple question, and I am going to quote you:
"
The rule "three strikes and you are out" was made to get rid of users who kept sending copies and more copies, and nothing else.

It was not intended to get rid of helpful friendly teachers who have worked a lot for this community."

It looks like we have two different groups here, in this wonderful site:

"  ... users who kept sending copies and more copies, and nothing else. "

and
 " ...
helpful friendly teachers who have worked a lot for this community."

Can I ask you which group do I belong?

How do you match "
users who kept sending copies and more copies, and nothing else"  with  " helpful friendly teachers who have worked a lot for this community"?

Have we got a third group which mixes up the two previous?

Again, which group do I belong?
What is my place here, in this site? Am I a member?

Please, Victor, this leads to a neverland.

Thanks for everything, I have learnt a lot here, I made beautiful friends.
Thanks again, but I am very sad.
linda

15 Feb 2010     

lomasbello
Venezuela

I only meant that this is not the first time it happened. And we have lost many valuable teachers because of that . I am not saying you are a bad person, Zailda, I really appreciate the work you have been doing in the site. You are really compromise on what you are doing. And you are right, I dont know you and my opinion is relative. My point is that we all have to recover this community. This event is one more prove that something is happening with this awesome site. Maybe I am not the right person to take place in this discussion, I just wanted to state my opinion.

Hope everything goes to its place.

Maribel

15 Feb 2010     

victor
Spain

This has nothing to do with groups. There are no groups. We are thousands of people, and each one is a different case.

15 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Touch�.

15 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

We will lose many more if we are not fair when voting worksheets. New and old members complain that some have more "power" than others. Leaving copied work because the member is a wonderful person won �t make the site lose credit?

15 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Linda

I think Victor �s primary aim was intended at new users trying to make a quick buck so to speak i.e. new users uploading copies just so they can get to their 30 free downloads.  This is followed by those who then upload more copies to get a few more points so they can download older contributions. 

The same happens in the workplace.  People on �probation � are more likely to dismissed for unacceptable practices than those who have been there several years. The probationary period protects the employer as well as provides the employee with the rules/regulations that need to be followed.  Longer serving employees have a right of appeal.  And of course loyalty, and return to the company, also count unless the person has committed a serious crime which warrants instant dismissal.

Naturally, as in life, there will always be grey areas and perhaps that �s where Victor can step in.  Although copied worksheets are unacceptable maybe the incident referred to did not warrant being classified as a serious crime/instant dismissal given the information that arose out of the investigation.

Cheers

Jayho

15 Feb 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

At the risk of getting tomatoes I have to add my two cents. I understand that this site does not belong to me, I did not create its rules. I try to participate at best I can but I agree with parts of Linda�s post.

When I vote, I don�t look at the owner of the printable. I go with the rules, I check the links provided. I rarely leave a comment.

I am not talking about Mar here. I�m talking in general. If a person has a lot of points and has been a member for a while, it would be my understanding that he/she knows the rules inside out. If that person has gotten a first chance, and I believe in that, and still has copied printables why would they get a second chance?  I understand why the 3 strikes you�re out was put into place but how many chances are we going to give before cancelling an account?  I am not second-guessing the value of the member, I am wondering about what is fair and when does it stop to be fair vs other members who are new and making rookie mistakes.

If I ever end up in Mar�s situation, please do not rally behind me. I want the rules to be applied the same way as they would be applied for any other member of this site. If I�m proven to be a thief 3 times let the rules be applied.

Do not mistake me here, I LOVE this site and what it has given me over the last 2 years and I have no intention of leaving.

15 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

That �s a good point, Manon. For the ones who said it was vindictive sending 11 copies at the same time and this way giving no chance to Mar to defend herself seem to forget that one year ago the first was reported and she didn �t even check it, she sent a thread on the forum accusing the reporter of reporting out of revenge (always the report is the guilty).

Two days ago, 4 of hers were reported with links provided and she logged in just to leave a comment under one of them to say the reporter had reported out of jealousy. Again, no update or checking were done, blatantly ignoring the fact that for the second time her mother �s work was being pointed as a mere copy.

So when I sent 9 ws to the reporting page and other member sent more 2, it wasn �t the first time. In fact she had 2 previous chances to fix the issue, but she has chosen just to ignore what was happening.

As you see, she was right ignoring the reporting.

15 Feb 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I agree with Zailda, I was shocked to find this member accused so badly of jealousy and revenge the first person who reported her contriutions. http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=7751
She even sounded in quite an agressive tone. And then, yesterday, she logged in again to say people were reporting out of jealousy! and didn�t even bother in cheking the links which were clear! If she had been humble enough to recognize the mistake nothing of this would�ve happened because she could have updated the printables and/or delete them herself and upload them again later on.
But not, she prefered to accuse people of being BAD, jealous and sad!... And I now ask myself, jealous of what? of being �special� and able to upload many copied things and yet get away with it?
Some are more equal than others....

Also, I don �t know why many members keep saying that �in the past � the site was better, friendlier, and everthing was wonderland.

I don �t know why some take so badly the system of reporting. The site has obviously grown and with it has also grown the number of people who don �t care about the rules and want to take advantage of the site by uploading just about anything to get amazing productions and not even leave a thank you note. SOme others want to make of this a Facebook, space, twitter or whatever site, when in fact this site is to exchange work, orignal work. And if friendship happens, good but we can �t be close friends with everyone!

I have seen threads from the �old ESLp (people keep refering to) where people also discussed about people who don �t leave thank yous, stolen material, which is pretty much the same as now. So I don �t know why �some � members feel all the new members have spoiled the page. IT doens �t sound very kind at all. They critize the moderators and the �new � esl printables and they only do that... critize..
They make it sound like the site is polluted and going down..

About new members uploading copied worksheets. We were all new at some point and didn �t have to have works deleted or canceled accounts, because we read the rules which are crystal clear!
So if newbies are in a hurry to get points they should learn what this site is about and that in fact there are thousands of sites from where they can download esl resources with no effort at all.

What would be of ESLprintables if moderators didn �t help Victor keep the site an original workbank.
Probably just a huge store of single flash cards, cliparts, scanned / copied pages from books, etc etc etc....
I see everyday people asking for help, and many get replies and help. I have! So to me the site is wonderful and adapting to the size that it is getting and improving! Always..

15 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I don �t know why many members keep saying that �in the past � the site was better, friendlier, and everthing was wonderland.

That �s me and all the people who supported me today :)

15 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    Next >